View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sleepy1
EcoModding Lurker

I can honestly say I understand and relate. My Forester XTI is my least fuel efficient vehicle and heavily modified. This is why I picked up a 2005 Scion XB. While the subaru has the best smiles-per-mile, I can only muster 24-27 MPG on Premium fuel. (My full conversion is under Sleepy1 on the Subaru Forester forum if your curious.)

My favorite fuel efficient vehicle was my 2009 Honda Fit Sport 5-spd manual. I got great mileage (87 Octane), it was super reliable, handled well in the corners for stock, and insurance was cheap. As a college student, the insurance and cheap gas will save you money over the Subaru. The only reason I gave it up was when my sister's car started having issues and so I sold the Fit to her. I miss the car very much, but am content that it is still in the family.

I am enthusiastic about my Subaru and understand where you're coming from. However, gas and insurance is high compared to a vehicle that would fulfill the basic needs of a college student. Truth be told... I really wanted a WRX/STI while in grad school... I just had to wait a while and then build my dream car.

In the end, my old Honda Fit, and my Scion XB make me smile too and would be two recommendations that you can buy outright with the sale of the WRX.
2005 Scion XB 5-speed 3.722 FD
1964 VW Beetle Original 36hp