View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
dparker
CEO

Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Hi, this is the CEO of Enerpulse, the guys who make Pulstar.

I am noticing interesting posts about our product and thought I might add a few thoughts.

1. Mutiple strike ignition. Pulstar will not hurt this in anyway and should actually improve its overall performance.

2. I am not sure what the issue is with idling (would like more details), but we have seen some Chrysler products that respond well under load, but don't like Pulstar's power at idle. I must also tell you that we recently adjusted the resistivity of our plugs because we thought that might be contributing to the problem. Gapping, however, seems to be the biggest culprit in these situations.

3. Someone mentioned that they asked for a "coupon" and got no resonse from us. Please let me know what you want and I will provide it if I can.

4. One post wanted to understand how Pulstar could work better than a spark plug. I think everyone now understands that Pulstar is different than a spark plug because it has an integrated capacitor, which energizes the spark much like a camera flash energizes light. So, we get a visibly larger spark, but then what happens? That larger spark ignites the fuel with a larger aperture than a spark plug. You can actually see this on our website with high speed photography. This is where is gets a little tricky. Suppose you were to set a field of hay on fire. Now hay burns at a fixed rate. If we light it with a match it would take so long for the field to burn, but if we light it with a blow torch the field will burn faster liberating the same BTUs in a shorter of time. In an engine this liberation of BTUs means more cylinder pressure, which converts to torque usable for power or fuel economy.

5. Duration of the spark - this might surprise you, but the duration of the spark event is the same as a spark plug. The ionization phase is about 5 microseconds, the streamer phase 2 and the resident phase about 30-50. What Pulstar does differently is at the beginning of the streamer phase we dump the accumulated power stored in the capacitor in 2 nanoseconds... highly compressed power! Remember the camera flash? Sort of like putting a flash bulb in your engine.

Guys, we are a new company with an exciting product, but we don't always get it right or have all the answers of how Pulstar works in the 74,000 vehicles listed on our website. However, we will stand behind our product and make sure every customer gets a fair deal. I welcome your comments, ideas and questions.