View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #81 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
with the rumors of all the new obd tricks the government wants, cars will have transponders to report failing emission equipment. they should look into some sort of feedback where your car lights up in the dash when your speed or driving style isnt acceptable. more mpg computers standard will make people slow down on their own
Many years ago in Singapore I asked my taxi driver why all the taxis had small lights on their roofs. They were to let the police know that the car had gone over the maximun Singaporean speed limit so the police could give them a ticket.

Being an American I asked if the drivers didn't just disconnect them. "Oh, No"!, was the reply. It seems that caning is very painful.

Old Volvo's of the 70's era in the US used to have a speed alarm that would buzz if you went over your set speed.

In college there was the rumor that if you got between two points on the New Jersey Turnpike in too short a time they would hand you a ticket when you paid! I'm pretty sure that was just urban myth. I now know that most states don't really want drivers to go the speed limit - it reduces the carrying capacity of the road too much.

Last edited by instarx; 07-26-2008 at 03:20 PM..