View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #69 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
TO ANY ONE INTERESTED IN A MIRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just drive one, or rent one and take it on a trip, even if it is not the transmission you want. Auto Rag reporters are not advocates of ecomodding or driving efficiently. They make more money convincing you that a $135,000 BMW I whatever it is is a good hybrid to buy. May be for less than 1% of the population. If you gave me one I'd sell it. I'd take a rental fleet of 10 Mirages.

In my biased opinion the Mirage is light years better than a 20 year old Civic or a Metro and significantly better than the Echo. My 94 year old father can get in and out of the back seat as well as my almost 90 year old mother. 4 doors are essential to me now. I would not have even considered a 4 door in my younger days. (that's why I want 4 doors Chrysler Kid).

regards
mech

I totally agree on the auto reviews, but I have to respectfully disagree about the choice of transmission. If you are in the market for a manual, wait for one to pop up before taking a test drive. At least with mine compared to my mothers CVT, it is a totally different driving experience.

Just think that in 20 years you (ahem, I meant we ) will have the equivalent of the Civics and Metros that people look for today, but with the knowledge that the cars have been taken care of for their life.

I totally understand how some people feel about new cars and payments, because I've always said I would never pay for the depreciation of a car, but over the last couple of decades playing the used car lottery has gotten less and less appealing vs the peace of mind and not having to pretend to be an oak tree mechanic. I'm at a point in my life where I just consider a payment as a type of insurance that I won't have to worry and fuss when I leave the driveway. And in my situation, the fuel costs pay for about half of the payment every month.
The Following User Says Thank You to bentring For This Useful Post:
Hockeynut (09-09-2015)