View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #84 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
There are so many good points being thrown around here, it is hard to take a side. The basics though are true, slowing down will save you gas. That will not happen until the price of gas cuts into more than just spending cash.

If the speed limit is dropped back down, it will likely happen with electronic monitoring. Meaning devices like my Sunpass which is a electronic toll meter, can also be used to read speed between distances and issue citations in that way.

That however raises the questions of whether or not speeding is a right ... Because if it wasn't wouldn't our cars be federally governed to the current speed limits?

Like I said its a fine line, in the end we may need to adpot an autobahn hwy for long distance driving with very few stops and limit the speeds on commuter hwy systems. This will not have an easy answer and will no doubt piss many people off.

For now I treat driving 55 like its my little secret, because when I tell anyone how well I'm doing with my mileage and they ask how, the first thing I say is, "I slowed down". That answer alone puts the sour candy look on their faces, which I cherish, so until gas hits $8.00 a gallon, I do not expect any revolutionary driving changes in our ignorant public.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???