View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Eddie-

You should get a gauge to track fuel consumption. Just because you get worse MPG on one route doesn't mean you consume more fuel by driving that route, especially if it's 2 miles shorter. Efficient route planning minimizes fuel consumption (not necessarily increasing MPG) and time spent driving.

As far as stop and go traffic is concerned, I get better fuel economy in gridlock than I do steady cruise on the freeway. I allow a gap to form ahead of me while I drive the average speed of traffic. When traffic is stopped, the buffer reduces, and when it moves again the buffer increases.

This might only work in Portland traffic as people don't madly change lanes like they do in SoCA. I once counted the number of cars that moved into the gap I created and subtracted the number of cars that moved back out of the gap for an hour-long drive from South Portland all the way through North Portland. The total cumulative number of cars that moved into the gap compared to those that moved out came to 13 cars in 1 hour of driving. That might have cost me an extra 20 seconds in my 3,600 second drive, or about half of 1% of my commute time. I'll gladly arrive at my destination 20 seconds later for the relaxation gained by constantly moving in traffic and gaining fuel economy

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-14-2015 at 02:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Eddie25 (05-15-2015)