View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
cosmick
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
I'm attracted to the classic VW since it was the first successful economy car. I just love it when people brag about how they get 30mpg in there brand new SUV or other and I can rightfully say I get more than that in my half a century old Bug.

True, they're not the most technologically advanced car out there. But if you include the build in your economy figures they are very simple and cheap to build, mainly for being the most popular platform in history thus far. I just spent $100 for new pistons, cylinders, rings, hone and wrist pins of really good quality. I don't know of any other that cheap to rebuild.
First, that's not impressive. If you could do it in a '65 Chevy Suburban, then that would be impressive, but that's been done, thanks to an LSx / T56 swap.

Second, total number of original style Beetles still falls short of the GM B-body cars. Sorry, GM wins, as usual. Better yet, V8 B-bodies outnumber the Beetle, without including the few rare 6-cylinder versions. Part of why the SBC V8 is the best selling engine of all time, as most B-bodies had one, and most of them were the 350.