View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
WINTER IDLING TANKS MAKE F.E. FALL DOWN GO BOOM. Pffhaha, I just got 13.93 MPG. No problem though, And now I've maintained the car: Engine Oil and Filter Change, ATF (2/3 of it) and Filter Change. I drained the torque converter, I have no idea how many miles or how much time was on the older fluids but now I have a starting point. I also flushed out old brake fluid and changed the power steering fluid a few times.

So I took it for a drive - about 166 miles - yesterday. Worked nicely, but I have to say this automatic transmission was not designed to climb hills in Overdrive. I switch it to D for most hill climbing, and sometimes it seems like even that isn't enough so it's good that I have one more gear to work with.

I put the tires to 36, too. I know that's not much above the sidewall. I think I may mostly just use this car for trips, so it's going to have a lot of HWY/Trip miles. So, when I do post MPG figures they should be higher ones unless I've been idling it over the winter like this last tank. I expect to work with 100% gas in it sometimes, as well; This is indeed more costly and the MPG/Cost figure is not equal right now (Ethanol gas: $2.859, 91 grade 100% Gas $3.459) but it's also an older car which may benefit from this more. I read someone with a 1975 Pontiac Wagon had his fuel lines rot out from ethanol gas, I realize this car is 15 years newer but still - there may be other benefits to using it.