View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #91 (permalink)
BlueFoot
EcoModding Lurker

Grey Goose - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 39.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Worth what? What is your in-depth analysis of the costs to individuals and to society as a whole of forcing people to be dependent on a central control for mobility, both short and long term.

I want you to demonstrate that you have a brain here. How does such requirements raise the bar on newcomers to the automotive industry, how will it affect people in emergency situations? i.e. Will people lose all navigational skills? Will more people be squeezed out of car ownership (and jobs), will the focus on infrastructure shift towards just those who can afford a self driving car? And a billion other potential side effects.

Show me you can really think this through before you make value judgements.

Maybe the road ragers are angry because the fornicators are clogging up the roads...

If you watched the video, you would see near the end that these cars coexist with other cars. They are an option, not mandatory. It would eliminate road rage incidents for those in these cars, not all cars. But a reduction is a good thing. And people with these cars wouldn't have to drive drunk.

Initially the technology to make these cars self driving would be more expensive. But the cars themselves should be much cheaper. They are smaller and lighter. Why should I drive a family sedan when it's just me commuting to work? Pod-like cars make a lot more sense for a huge amount of commuters out there. Of course an additional car may be necessary as a family car, which is no different than what I do now except my car can fit more people than necessary for my commute.

Just because people's opinions on this differ doesn't mean anyone is less intelligent.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

You've kicked it out before the party even started. No entertaining going on there.