View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
2009Toyotoad
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I loved Torque. I just didn't love Bluetooth........

Having good instrumentation makes you wonder why manufacturers even bother with the idiot lights and useless gauges. The mpg feedback makes driving an entirely different experiance.
I'm okay with blue tooth and I like being able to capture all data to a storage log file. Torque pro is an App for both Android and IOS you can always run it from a tablet with lots of storage space and graph the data separately.

As for idiot lights and limited cycle gauges, I couldn't agree more. What is the point having the sensors send all that data ECU if you can't display it on the instrument panel somewhere? GM vehicle are notable for the driver "information center" somewhere on the dash. but they won't let the owners customize or add information screen that would be useful. Instead it has become a second set of idiot lights with little more information that the idiot light themselves.

To be fair 80 to 90% of they driving public would not know what to do with the information anyway. But any skill tech would and it would save dollars in diagnostic charges at the repair shop. .......Which I guess is why automakers won't add onboard logging. It cuts into sales/profits at the service department profit center for the stealership.

Sorry venting a little, I just went through the Yaris recalls a week ago and the terrible information provided by the service department was inaccurate, misleading, and completely missed a significant low coolant issue in the expansion tank. A second trip back to the parts department for a $27 gallon of Toyota SLLC pink coolant fixed it.