View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
pfznik
EcoModding Lurker

Me again,

I'm still trying to find out why a trailer might not have four wheels out at the corners, wagon style, so that the trailer could stand on its own with out landing gear. After all, small autos that are brought along behind motorhomes are towed four wheels down. Is there some simple dynamic reason why this is not a good idea (ie, such as why manhole covers are round for example)? Am I missing something? Of course, front wheels (possibly rear as well) would have to pivot or be under a fifth wheel in order to track properly. I can see how having each wheel on it's own pivot as in an automobile might be problematic even if linked by a tie rod. If the pivot were a little ahead of the wheel like a furniture caster it would be an improvement though not ideal. It seems to me that having the steering axle attached to a fifth wheel that is turned by the draw bar as in an old fashioned wagon should certainly work (the kiss answer). I believe having the wheels on separate pivots could also work as well if they were directed by a tie rod that was in turn directed by the draw bar. What do you think? Any problems? Is it possible?