View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
PremierSprinter
EcoModding Lurker

Ultimate MK4 TDI build for MPG

I would like to share the build for my MK4 Jetta. It started life as a 24v VR6 6spd car which somebody tore apart to use as a donor (fortunately for me). I purchased it to bring back my previous Jetta TDI 5spd of the same body-style and color which was clipped in the rear by an SUV driver.

Donor Jetta and the new one:

The plan for this Jetta is to pack it with OEM+ features while also making it a highway MPG champion. This is the plan:

Engine/efficiency mods
VNt2256 turbo w/ custom tube manifold for lower EGTs
EGR/cooler delete
3" downpipe, coiled with coolant lines for fast warm-up
Custom intake manifold with an air-water intercooler plate inside for short charge pipes
Repurposed throttle body or exhaust cut-out as an emergency run-away valve
Mild head porting
ARP head studs
Decking the head and using the thinnest possible head gasket for a minimal quench height
Sprinter 502 nozzles
Tune - (undecided and may do it myself)
Delete engine-driven PS pump and install MK5 electric rack (never seen it done but confident that I can make it work)
(maybe) Smaller electric A/C compressor
Chrome roof wrap to deflect the sun's heat
Long 5th gear

Aero mods
Mirror deletes
Grill blocks
Front lip
Vortex generators
Wheels spats
(maybe)Rear diffuser
(maybe)Bonneville-style spoiler
LRR tires

Just-because mods
Nissan GTR seats
MK5 GTI speakers and amp
In-dash TV and back-up camera
Climatronic swap
Class III trailer hitch
Satin pearl white vehicle wrap

So far I have pulled the motor from the old car and put it aside to pull the motor from the new car:

MK5 electric rack... I'm not sure how well this is going to work yet but I have one extra MK4 rack and subframe which I can hack up to make it work if I need to. I also have to complete car harness. I am already wiring in the BCM in order to have an interior CAN capable of turning the amp on. I need to get some MK5 wiring diagram to see what makes this tick. It has a power and ground wire as well as two orange wires, one with a black stripe. I know that there is a steering angle sensor in the column so i will probably use the MK5 column. I'm confident that I can get it working and it should be good for reducing parasitic losses on the highway with no power steering pump.

This one is self-explanatory, the VNT2256 next to the VNT15. This one was electronically actuated so i will have to make a bracket for the new vacuum actuator.

Lastly, GTR seats. These seats have the electric motors and heaters in them but the lower motors have been gutted. I'm going to find a set of electric MK4 seats and use the forward-backward/up-down motors from that and control them with the GTR switches, then wire the heaters to the OEM VW switches. There will be some upholstery work in the car. I would like to stay a light color as to not retain heat so I may just try to match some pieces in the car to this color.

I'll post updates as I get more work done.

Last edited by PremierSprinter; 05-19-2015 at 08:05 PM..