View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Push button start hypermiling

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to pick up a Subaru BRZ as my next car since it's a pretty balanced vehicle that has pretty good mpg potential (1st goal is 50mpg freeway which I think is doable with minor mods).

The only thing is that on craigslist I'm only seeing Limited models (do not want an FR-S, don't like the interior). Limited = heated seats, auto climate control, keyless entry, push button start. I'm never going to use the first 2 features but the slightly nicer interior is worth the money IMO.

What I'm worried about though is push-button start. I've tried a BRZ with this as well as an Altima rental, and while I think I could get used to it, I realized starting and stopping during traffic is a bit cumbersome because there's a delay, and I don't know if the car would allow me to shut off the engine for long coasts, or start the engine while coasting.

Has anyone had experience with a push button start car? I guess I could install a kill switch but that seems kind of stupid.

EDIT: it seems like the engine can be shut off while the car is rolling, but you have to hold the button for 3 sec :/ When you're stopped it forces you to shut all power off. Who the hell designed this...

Last edited by serialk11r; 05-20-2015 at 02:27 AM..