View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Well, this thing is advertised as a fuel saver and a restrictor plate. It comes in three sizes, 20%, 30% and 40% reduction. That's % of the venturi, which is 26mm diameter or 531 mm^2 (not including the emmultion tube). So the 20%, 30% and 40% have 425, 372 and 319 mm^2 areas respectively. I wonder which one I should get. Apparently all three can handle 65mph just fine. I do live in a mountainous area so perhaps too much restriction would be counterproductive.

The site does mention the need to readjust the carburetor, especially the main jet. This 34 PICT-4 Solex carburetor that I have has a pilot jet, an auxiliary jet, a main jet, an air correction jet, two high speed enrichment jets and a thermostatic two speed accelerator pump that doubles as a third high speed enrichment jet. Not to mention the idle mixture adjustment screws. I have an oxygens sensor connected to an air/fuel ratio gauge in the cab. I also have a fully adjustable digital distributor. I plan on doing a lot of tuning obviously, perhaps with and without this device.

Those that I know that have tried it haven't always seen fuel mileage increases but they all have seen better cold starts, better pedal response and just smoother running over all. That seems to me to indicate that it must be helping with atomizing the fuel.

I'm familiar with those heated grids. I think they're called EFE's (early fuel evaporators). Apparently they aid cold starts and help reduce or eliminate the need for a choke. This Jet-A-Vator device is not heated, although during operation it probably will receive heat from the intake manifold and I do believe it's made of aluminum so it should conduct heat well. I was thinking of putting a small heating pad on it over night to see if it can eliminate or reduce the need for a choke. Mind you we get extremely cold winters here, as much as -40*.