View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
PremierSprinter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
"Delete engine-driven PS pump and install MK5 electric rack (never seen it done but confident that I can make it work)"
I will subscribe because of this. I can't see the pics on this comp so will look at home.

you can add a 6th to the 5 speed. go to tdiclub.com in the MK4 section and there are a lot of threads on it.
Glad to have you on board. I know that I can get the rack to fitwork at least by swapping the aluminum MK5 subframe to the MK4 and using Mk4 balljoints on the MK5 control arms. I would likely have to change the mounts out which I could do by cutting them out of the MK5 in the front and plating/drilling the rear, just like I would for putting a MK3 VR6 subframe into a MK1. If possible, I'd like it to be more comprehensive though, so that others can follow. I'm more concerned with the electrical aspect than I am the mechanical, as a don't have a clear path of what the system needs to function. I assume that it needs the steering angle sensor, which means I will probably wind up mixing the two columns together as I want to keep the MK4 splines and clock-spring. Beyond that, it could wind up being a pain. I have the MK5 ESP module, BCM, etc... if need be. I think that I will be wiring in the BCM anyway to wake up the MK5 amplifier as I don't know that the MK4 CAN can do it.

The 5spd to 6spd conversion have been around a long time but they were pretty expensive if I recall correctly. I know that this is sort of one of those "pay to play" kind of hobbies, but the tallest 5th gear is actually taller than the 6spd swap gears. Using a real 6spd also has the advantage of moving to the 240mm clutch which is more well-suited for a modified TDI. I still have to weigh out my options but at this point, I am leaning towards to tall 5th if I can get my hands on a 6spd cheap enough.

Today was a great day at my local "pick and pull". I scored a complete climatronic set-up (even the dash-top and front bumper sensors), plus an auto-dimming mirror w/ rain sensor and then a pair of full electric memory seats, all for $191. I will have to replace the front windshield to use this mirror, which I intended to do anyway. The seats also had lousy leather. It was perfect for me because I only needed the frames, motors and control unit as I am chopping them and welding together full-electric, memory, heated Nissan GTR seats (for the eco-baller in us all).

Goodies: