View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #7063 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
you do realize that with the curtis @ 56 v you are only getting 22 hp peaks? I am suprised you get to the speeds you get.

130 at 500a should be ok but not spectacular.
Yes, I know the power is WOEFULLY low on the curtis .. but it IS a golf cart controller, after all. And it's moving a 90's era CAR.

I was desperate to get the car rolling so that I could see how my battery supports would hold up going over some rough road. The supports did OK (some noise, but no cracks or breaks) but the next version will be better!

I hope the Cougar at 500 amps will keep up with traffic, so no one runs over me! I need to get the car insured and on the road.

I had a netgain industrial controller, rated at 1000 amps and 400 VDC (my Netgain Warp 11 motor can accept about 190VDC) in the Mazda for the first couple of tests. I spun the tires in second and third gear (down my driveway, about 500 feet) and dug grooves in the gravel ... but I blew up the controller, and a 3000 amp fuse (controller overheated, somehow the ramp rate was bypassed when the controller re-engaged after the temperature dropped ... I think ..). Performance would have been *FAR* more than I needed with the industrial controller .. I'd have to dial down the power to avoid breaking powerline components. BUT the controller is proprietary - no schematics are available, there are trouble codes on the interface even when it's working, when it stops working the trouble codes may not give you much information, Ryan is pretty busy so support is great sometimes and takes 3 weeks other times, no spare parts in Canada ...

My hope is that when Paul's open source AC controller is tested and working, I can use the single IGBT board (there are 3 of them on the AC controller) to give the Netgain a brain transplant. Of course, there would need to be some reverse engineering of signals ... which will take time ... so that's why it's more of a *HOPE* than a project.

I do write long posts ...

Last edited by thingstodo; 05-23-2015 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Added explanation on AC versus DC controller