View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
I'd go for a BBK but not wilder cam.
Doing it this way will make your current cam softer.
You will not unleash all the power out of the BBK but it will get its torque and power earlier in the RPM range.

The hills have a bigger impact on FE when your CVT is downshifting.
I have no idea if the time of the hills vs more capacity all the time will net you economy gains but more capacity will make the vehicle faster and it's hard to resist going faster and losing fuel in the process.

But honestly I would leave it as is because you can never recoup the cost of improvement through economy gain.
But do we really calculate costs of our hobbies?

Downshifting of CVT is happening quite a lot, especially when there is headwind, so BBK might help there. For me wind starts to be very uncomfortable around 45km/h, so I usually ride only 40km/h or sometimes 35km/h because of headwind, often using only half throttle or less, except hills where I need to take everything out from little motor, sometimes for more than 10km.

With Chinese 4-stroke BBK is not making very huge difference though, quality brand 2-stroke will be faster at tuned 50cc stage, but fuel economy is bit better with 4-stroke.

BBK kit and choosing rollers that give bit lower rpm than 7000 might indeed be best way, less noise that way, also there is speed limiter at 45km/h ignition is starting to cut, there is sensor at CVT for that, of course that could be bypassed, but 45km/h is enough speed for me.

Problem comes when coasting with freewheel and speed exceeds 45km/h at downhill, engine dies, so I have had it disabled for now, but I need to re-enable it as I think I take freewheel out for little testing.