Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #340 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I live in eastern Massachusetts, and there are some hills around here, but most are not too bad. My typical drives are 35-45MPH, but my spouse's commute is farther and faster. Her's is ~44-45 miles round trip, and she has never had trouble at that distance. I think the absolute worst range in the winter would be ~60 miles in an ice storm. If we had a heat pump instead of the resistance heater, that range would go up somewhat; depending on the air temperature.

We just drove Forest ~208 miles round trip out to western Mass, mostly along Route 2. We had a CHAdeMO charge after ~75 miles, that took it from 13 miles left to 79 in about 20 minutes, and we then drove ~58 miles through some BIG hills that took it down to 10 miles. This was round trip from the charger to the fairgrounds. We then charged again at the CHAdeMO all the way up to full that took 59 minutes, arrived home with~18 miles left, if I recall correctly.

The CHAdeMO was at a Big Y supermarket in Greenfield MA, and it was free! (They also have a J1772 EVSE there, as well.) We bought our lunch and dinner there, which is the least we could do. We ate dinner while the car charged, so very little time was taken to charge the car (nearly) twice. The charger was in the ideal location for this trip, it has to be said.

In the morning, temps were pretty cool (mid 40's) and I kept the speed to ~50MPH or less, and coasted down hills when possible. The elevation changed from ~250 feet up to ~1096 feet with the high point ~1360 feet.

On the way home it was well into the 70's and I drove faster - ~55MPH climbing and slightly faster, up to ~65MPH when it was easy to do this. There was much more traffic, and I did not want to hold things up too much. We also ducked off onto slower (though slightly longer distance) about 25 miles out, and this saved a lot on the range.

The dash display average dropped from 5.5 miles / kWh to about 5.1 by the end of the day.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 05-25-2015 at 08:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-26-2015)