View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
2009Toyotoad
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Eddie25, sorry to hear the Fiesta has not worked out. Not familiar with the Suzuki Alto as Suzuki basically left the U.S. market a few years back. Basically leaving owners high and dry. I not a believer that cheaper is necessarily better, I other words look for a vehicle with an active after market parts stream. Many race/ performance parts are lighter and better quality than OEM, especially in suspension parts. Aero mods are great but the costs the design and engineer them often outweighs the long term gains from better MPG. Also remember personal situations change, will the Aero mods designed today meet next years circumstances?

I've been fairly lucky. My car has been in three accidents. Two "hit and run" while parked and a "head on" with a large raccoon, which took out the OEM bumper, A/C evaporator, and radiator (my fault.) As a result I'll be keeping the car for several years because any "Carfax" report will ding my resale value. Fortunately for me there are lots on fairly inexpensive parts out there. 2 years ago I bought engine block and crankshaft with 26K miles on it ($250 USD shipped) followed by a 28K used 5spd for $300.

So what does this mean for you? Before you scrap/trade the Fiesta, find out what used parts are available with low or no cost shipping. Unless the Uni-body is falling apart you may be money ahead with building or having someone else build a new powertrain with used parts.

Last edited by 2009Toyotoad; 05-25-2015 at 11:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2009Toyotoad For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-26-2015), Eddie25 (05-26-2015)