View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #137 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFoot View Post
I had a 2002 ford focus that somewhat frequently shot the spark plugs out. The last time it happened to me I decided to just drive home on it. I thought I was only misfiring on one cylinder but when I got home I looked at it and saw that the spark plug that shot out had pulled off the plug wire from another spark plug as well. So I was running on 2 cylinders for approximately 20 miles. Top speed I could hit was about 60 mph. Power was very lacking. It definitely runs rougher on 2 cylinders and doesn't have enough power. On 3 cylinders, when it happened previously, it actually wasn't horrible for power, I had no problem going 65, but it did run rougher than on 4. If it was done well a 3 cylinder conversion would probably work ok. 2 would really be pushing it.
Since the Focus has a 1.6L engine available in overseas markets, including a detuned version available in Europe, a 3-cyl 1.5L would be perfectly reasonable. The lesser weight and the decrease on internal frictions from having one less cylinder would eventually compensate for the 100cc reduction.