View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #1860 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
May 26, 9 pm

I had moved some things around in the basement (disturbed my test setup), and after getting things moved back ... run-pi-test gave me the same results that I get when I forget to turn on the battery pack. Same log data as 10 and 11 from the past logs.

for reference, power up the controller, start logging on hyperterm, and type in
kp-id 2000
ki-id 0
run-pi-test

I shut everything down, started back up (contactors, breakers, controller). No change.

I shut down my laptop and restarted. No change.

I reseated the current sensor plugs, and all the rest of the plugs on the controller, just in case. No change.

I disconnected the PICkit 3 (since it's not being used anyway), disconnected the throttle and the encoder. cycled power and did
kp-id 2000
ki-id 0
run-pi-test

No change.

I plugged the throttle back in. And the encoder.

No change.

I checked the voltages on the battery pack and the 12V battery. The pack voltage is down to 38.8V Not a big deal, but a difference. The 12V battery is down to 12.5V. It's a 10 A-h lithium so I was surprised that it was that low.

I turned everything off. I added a charger to the lowest of the 12V lead cells in my pack (12.7V). I lifted the ring cap to look at the hall effect sensors. The battery connectors are pretty close to the hall effect sensors. It should not matter .. but one of them may be resting on the hall effect (not quite). I added a piece of lumber between the ring cap assembly and the three phase output terminals. Just because.

Power everything back up. The lithium 12V cell is up to 12.8V. Hmm. The battery pack is now up to 40.1V. I guess the charger added a bit to the lowest pack battery. turn on logging on hypterterm. Type in run-pi-test (forgot to set kp-id and ki-id first) ... and it WORKED! I heard the motor hum, the numbers trail down to 0 ...

So I need to isolate what changed it to working ... lifting the cap and putting in a piece of lumber seems like it would not affect the 12V battery terminal voltage. But the 12V battery voltage under load is the only thing that I measure that appears to have changed ... unless you count the battery pack raising above 40V.

BUT - it's working! So I need to get Paul's suggestions tested!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (05-27-2015)