View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
2009Toyotoad
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Heihn View Post
I wonder how low is too low? I just put on a landscape edging air dam, and since my car is so low already, it's about 1~2" off the ground.
I echo the same concern. I originally Installed Racing suspension on my 09 Yaris and while to 2+ MPG was a wonderful improvement the scraping on speed bumps was not. I got lucky in that I was able to raise the car back to nearly stock ground clearance on the front (4.5" versus 5" stock OEM suspension) however the rear is still a full 1.5" lower than stock height. So only the "topee" sized speed bumps are at issue now. But giving back the MPG gains is aggravating.
Last night in ordered the "Beat Rush" brand Front under panel, as my aftermarket choices are limited at this point for a 6 YO model. Hoping to get it installed by the middle of June.

There are no pre-engineered solutions for rear under panels So it likely I'll go with a Urethane diffuser/splitters at the rear and canards just forward on the rear wheels. I'll need to see the MPG improvements from the front under panel before looking at the Carbon Fiber splitter for the front. The front splitter is pricey at $195 USD, but as a pre-engineered solution it should have a higher durability than something I put together at home.

I'm sure I'll get questioned as to why I don't build my own. Simple liability. Everything you add to a motor vehicle not from the OEM increases your culpability in the unfortunate event it hits someone else's property or person. With pre-engineered products that responsibility is extended and to a certain partially transferred o the part manufacturer and installer. So make sure you read/follow and observe all the DIY instructions for the products installed. It does hurt to get a second opinion from a local body shop either.