View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Sure, but if the question includes, "If I slap skirts- even flush non-vented ones- on my car, is it more aero?" can we definitively say yes it is?
If we have to 'guess' based upon empirical data,then I'd say we might expect a high confidence of a benefit.
Morelli has published data from the CNR/Pinifarina research which illustrates the doubling of drag by inclusion of wheels.
Hucho has a number of examples of from VW's research into wheel associated drag,as well as other authors.
Korff tested, measured,and published related drag reductions.
Ditto Tremulis.
Carl Breer,Chrysler.
HOT ROD Magazine has promoted them since 1962 based upon their prior association with Kamm at Cunningham's race shop in Florida.
FIAT has reported on it.
Ford reported a 9% drag reduction just from the front wheel treatment on the Probe-IV.
The Spirit of Ecomodder recorded some pretty good mpg numbers in spite of its compromised belly pan.Had she had the full pan at Darko,it might have meant Cd 0.21 at A2/GM Warren,Mich..The skirts 'flowed' well under smoke and I must believe that they helped contribute to the lower Cd.
There aren't any low drag concept cars which don't employ flush,sealed skirts,so it's inferred that they have value,especially if aft-body elongation is to be used.
Ford stayed with the flush,sealed skirts on the 1985 Probe-V of Cd 0.137.
Jaray had them on his Cd 0.13 'pumpkin seed' of 1922.
BamZipPow (05-28-2015)