Thread: The Indy One
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Getting hit is a roll of the dice. What if a safe falls off an overpass??? Better to be 'nimble'. What are those percentages of? Frequency? Closing speed? I'm skeptical about getting rear ended. I'd think it would be second.

I guess I was thinking of the Messerschmitt KR200. It had a two passenger rear seat and two passengers messed with the CG and polar moment. I believe the CG wants to be centered between all three wheels.

Quote:
I am very familiar with Basalt, as I have designed a lightweight concrete house and was going to use basalt rebar, and have thought of using it for my solar boat build.
Ooooh, I'd like to see that. Monolithic Dome or something else? We can compare with my semi-submersible houseboat [design].

Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltguru
Basalt bi-axial fabric was used to make a tool mold for the nose cone of a very expensive carbon fiber yacht last month.

Contact us if you are a boat builder or using carbon fiber as a mold tool. We would love to talk to you about using basalt fabric as an alternative that offers the same performance with considerable financial savings!
Their lead article right now is about a female form for carbon fiber boats. Further back there's a story about a body kit for the Telsa S. Your forms will determine the quality of your finished bodies. And you might be able to use basalt mesh/glass cloth for either. It would be like having a roll cage in the skin.

All I've seen about pricing and product performance is it's within the triangle drawn between E-glass, S-glass and carbon fiber. Not as light as carbon fiber, but it doesn't shatter.