View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
SvdM
EcoModding Lurker

Old but Gold - '87 Volkswagen Jetta CSL
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Interesting. Got any specifications on it?

It reminds me a lot of the tango.
Thanks for the link of the Tango - I'll certainly go have a look at it. Doax, my electrical knowledge goes as far as: "If I plug this into that socket, this light should go on", but if I remember correctly, they've got two 10kw motors and I am not sure about the battery specs at all. I think they were talking about a range between 80 and 120km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The hub-motors approach seems to be the most sensible option, but have you never considered a single rear-wheel motor instead? Increasing the non-suspended weight at the steerable wheels ends up increasing the effort needed for steering.
The 2nd chassis they've built does have the motor at the back and it makes for wonderfully light steering. They couldn't test the hubmotors on this chassis' suspension, so they're busy rigging up some suspension on the 3rd chassis to allow for this. It's the third chassis' basic shape that was designed in tandem with the work that I did for them. This first suspension will be rubber-based, so I am interested to see what the result of that'll be ...

I think the engineer wants to see what it's like with all the weight up front (better for the tadpole config.) and the whole understeer vs. oversteer thing as well as regen. Those Chinese motors really are heavy though, so I really would like to drive the two side by side to see.

I'll elaborate as things become more clear / tied down.