View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #84 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,554 Posts
Here is the model for the water pump pulley. It is currently has 14 teeth, so it is a 4:1 ratio with my 56 tooth motor pulley. This should allow me to ramp up the water pump speed to 5000 rpm which is what the water pump would be spinning at if the engine were at 5500 rpm on the stock setup.

The current plan is to use this pulley for testing. I want to measure amp draw vs water pump rpm. It is quite possible that all of this nonsense is for naught or very little. As I said a while back, this mod really isn't a first mod kind of thing. It works well with other mods like an alternator delete, block heater (to cycle the coolant with the engine off), and possibly even preheat the transmission. In and of itself, its probably not that great. I anticipate this test will show us that effect or not.

To address the heat issue with the plastic pulley, I plan on replacing the four bolts on the water pump with threaded rod. These will completely detach and space the new pulley away from the OEM pulley. This will transmit much less heat to the pulley. I'll also probably use some nylon washers to reduce that heat transmission further. As it spins, the threaded rod will act as a fan and cool itself down. This is a lot simpler than the previous idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	17846   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterpumppulley.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	17847