View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I don't have the paint chips for 1972, possibly L-80E, Light Ivory?

My weekly driver is similar, 1971 1302 in Shantung Gold. When I got it it was so stock the 34PICT had parts on it I'd never seen before (the dashpot that slowly closes the throttle) but that went away when it was replaced with an adapter plate and 32PICT. I had a 34 but couldn't find it until later. It also has the CB Magnaspark, but the low end one with Ford internals and the red coil. The only other parts not stock are the front tires (165-50R/15), the adjustable Macpherson struts and LED headlights in H-4 reflectors. Wink mirror and AM radio delete. Just last weekend I got a set of five Marathon/Jubilee/Baja wheels, but they will get blasted and Plastidipped before they can go on the car.

Quote:
I'm trying to do the unthinkable, a 9.5:1 CR with a 0.040" quench! My programable ignition is the CB Digital Magnaspark Distributor.
That's what it would take to do that. Well, maybe that and water injection.

jakobnev -- That would be a whole different part. It would have to slide in an airtight box. But the idea has merit, the size and spacing of the holes is tuneable. Until they sold the first one they blurred out pictures of the holes. If you had a plate that was 1.5 times the width of the intake, it could cover and uncover holes to have a variable restriction.

In the VW's case raising the stock air cleaner could have it impact on the hood in the open or closed position. It's right up there in the hood hinge-line. The Karmann Ghia and Thing air cleaners move the problem somewhere else.

Now you've got me thinking. My last car was a 1302 and I took it from 17 to 34mpg. My best tank ever with this one was 37mpg, but it will do 34 consistently as well (when it's in tune, I'm in the 20s right now). My goal is to get Prius-like mileage (~45mpg), half with engine mods and half with aerodynamics. Really good ignition management, high compression and water injection on demand might get to 40mpg.

Which would be awesome. What do you get right now?

Last edited by freebeard; 06-04-2015 at 04:27 PM..