View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #299 (permalink)
Sneakybassturd69
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
When people read about this, one of the first questions that inevitably comes up is: "can you just use a solar panel?"

Short answer: not really (for reasons of cost & potential aerodynamic penalties).

If you drive a normal amount, it will cost you a lot of money to get enough panels to keep your battery topped up, and you'll probably destroy your car's aerodynamics mounting them on top .

The only reason I can get away with solar recharging is because I don't use my car very much (less than 200 miles in May). It could easily take a couple of days for my panel to replace the electricity I use from the battery in half an hour of driving.

The panel I have is equivalent to a 1 amp trickle charger, and it cost $160 CDN (I got it to keep a boat battery charged):

http://tinyurl.com/fw77y

A typical electric battery charger "trickle" setting is 2 A (twice the power of my panel), and they cost a fraction of what solar panels cost.
#
! Now they have boat solar panels that are just a few mm thick and can be glued on without any effect to your aero and they are 150 bucks for a 50 watt 20 amp one