View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I don't have the paint chips for 1972, possibly L-80E, Light Ivory?
The PO painted it pearl white. Parts of the car were an orange 1972 1302 and a light blue 1971 1302!

Quote:
My weekly driver is similar, 1971 1302 in Shantung Gold. When I got it it was so stock the 34PICT had parts on it I'd never seen before (the dashpot that slowly closes the throttle) but that went away when it was replaced with an adapter plate and 32PICT. I had a 34 but couldn't find it until later. It also has the CB Magnaspark, but the low end one with Ford internals and the red coil. The only other parts not stock are the front tires (165-50R/15), the adjustable Macpherson struts and LED headlights in H-4 reflectors. Wink mirror and AM radio delete. Just last weekend I got a set of five Marathon/Jubilee/Baja wheels, but they will get blasted and Plastidipped before they can go on the car.
Wow! Cool car! Mine has the dashpot. From what I understand, once the engine is leaned to optimal for fuel mileage the engine can stumble and even die if you let off the pedal too fast, which causes the engine to gulp a sudden rich mix. But that's just an assumption.

32PICT? You must mean 30 or 31PICT. Unless there's a 32 PICT that I've never heard of.

Where/how did you get LED head lights? I'd like to do all LEDs but am concerned about legalities. Well, mainly not being bright enough.

Quote:
That's what it would take to do that. Well, maybe that and water injection.
I'd love to do water injection too! But I'm not even doing fuel injection. And here I'd have to figure out how to get it to work at below 0F temperatures. As far as the digital timing, I'd like to figure out how to get an Audrino with a knock sensor, a Ford TFI module and a crank trigger to work. I'd like to have separate spark maps for each cylinder. I think that would give me more than individual cylinder AFRs and possibly be much cheaper too.

Quote:
jakobnev -- That would be a whole different part. It would have to slide in an airtight box. But the idea has merit, the size and spacing of the holes is tuneable. Until they sold the first one they blurred out pictures of the holes. If you had a plate that was 1.5 times the width of the intake, it could cover and uncover holes to have a variable restriction.

In the VW's case raising the stock air cleaner could have it impact on the hood in the open or closed position. It's right up there in the hood hinge-line. The Karmann Ghia and Thing air cleaners move the problem somewhere else.

Now you've got me thinking. My last car was a 1302 and I took it from 17 to 34mpg. My best tank ever with this one was 37mpg, but it will do 34 consistently as well (when it's in tune, I'm in the 20s right now). My goal is to get Prius-like mileage (~45mpg), half with engine mods and half with aerodynamics. Really good ignition management, high compression and water injection on demand might get to 40mpg.

Which would be awesome. What do you get right now?
Well I didn't get to drive it much. I kind of figured about 30mpg highway once. But the engine was in poor condition. So I'm rebuilding it, and my way. I got a Web Cam #73. Tight quench and I want to do ceramic coatings. Also I'm doing lots of oiling mods for better cooling. I figure if I want a 9.5:1 CR I need to have better control of engine temps too.