View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
2009Toyotoad
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think if you crack 49mpg on that thing you just wasted some good luck that might have been better spent on a lottery ticket.

That said, it's already doing better than 20mpg, which when I drove a 15-pass Dodge would have made me giddily happy. I think I only ever beat 15mpg one time.

Subscribed.
I'm not so sure he won't come close to 49 MPG. The non-turbo version of the 7.3 were in a lot of delivery and service vans over the years but they were geared very low for load reasons. I do think, if there were a choice I would have gone with the 5.9 liter with 2 fewer cylinders to feed, and there are / were several bell housing adapters on the market for almost anything you wanted to use as a transmission.

But if he can find the right parts there are a few aftermarket Aux trannies(OD), such as Gear vendors, which will really bring the RPMs down for the flats.
It really comes down to getting units which will match up in terms of splines.

15 MPG on the long wheel base van, surprises me a bit. I'll get that MPG or real close to it on my 02' 8.1 liter gasser dually with a 4.10 rear end and overbuilt Allison 1000 transmission, and that's with 50% more rubber friction surface on the road.