View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Great idea... a cheap race series... we have something similar using the Vios (Yaris sedan)... in a country where the local touring car series was once down to under a dozen cars, we now have a field so big (40 and counting) that they can't run them all in one heat. The Vios goes from $18.7k to $26.5k with the same kind of modifications plus LSD plus racing tuition and spares.

That includes 12% VAT, so it's actually a good price.

I'd think you could make the Micra cars even cheaper by sticking to simply the cage, seat, kill switch and gutting. But then they probably wouldn't be as fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
What is the cheapest new car in the Philippines? I don't suppose that's it (Versa).
The local Nissan is hobbled by the lack of ASEAN production compared to its rivals, so the Versa sedan starts at $15.7k. The Versa-sized Vios starts at $14k for the 1.3 (cheaper if you're willing to go taxi-spec.) Maybe if Nissan opened up a Micra production line in Indonesia, we could see them for much, much less.

Cheapest sedan with decent legroom from the Japanese is the Mirage G4, at $12.3 (already with AC and power windows, but not much else). The cheapest sedan bar none is the one I'm driving now, the Tata Indigo, which is $11.6k (same as the base Mirage hatch here). That's with power windows, a radio, alarm, foglights and a 1.4 liter diesel. Not bad considering the high tax paid for imports from India! Its pretty crude, even compared to a Mirage, but it's got hydraulic steering, a proper shift linkage, a gutsy turbodiesel and skinny tires, so I've been having a hoot of a time over the past week, hooning everywhere and still getting 35 mpg mixed.

Cheapest car overall is also Indian. The Suzuki/Maruti Alto, which starts at $8.6k with absolutely nothing on it. Not even a solitary airbag. Still, gets 30 mpg in heavy traffic and up to 70 mpg on the highway. Just don't drive near anything bigger than you.

Which is, uh, everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-08-2015)