View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
You want to hear some objections post on an RV page about how you are going to tow X travel trailer with anything other then a traditional pickup or SUV. Then they will start to talk about don't exceed 80% of the manufacturers conservative limit.
I believe there are many other factors at play. I also believe manufacturers de-rate certain vehicles to keep them from stealing sales from other high profit models. The Grand Caravan is a good example. The cargo version with the same motor, frame, brakes, transmission, cooling, tires, and only 300 less pounds of interior weight is rated at 4350# while the passenger version is rated at 3600#. The motor is the same as the pickup which is rated at 7600 pounds. Like I said there is more to it, but I wouldn't hesitate to tow the full 3600# with my Town and Country van, I would even go to the 4350 rating of the cargo with a few upgrades and my low profile trailer. I also tow small trailers (boat, jetski, utility, etc.) with my Forester all the time. The US Subaru says 2000# but the same vehicle in South Africa is rated 4400#! I think it's liability and huge saftey margins.