View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #572 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
I think at 7' from my rear bumper is almost the maximum length I would safely recommend. Extending the rear another 2' (9' total) may cause issues when making tight turns and still contacting vehicles/things on the outer part of yer turn.
I actually plotted this out in Alias with a 40' minimum turning radius and the rough dimensions of your truck. I put the boat tail's plan view taper at 10 degrees. It appears that your boat tail trailer will swing out LESS than the front end of your truck in turns. This is because the rear end does not extend as far from the rear wheels as the front does, and it's tapered to boot. You could probably even make the trailer longer if you keep the same angle.

In short, don't worry about it, as the trailer makes a smaller turning circle than your front bumper (by about 21").

If you were parallel parked next to a wall (or telephone pole, etc) and turned full lock to get out, you'd need the side of your truck to be at least ~8.5" away from the wall for your trailer to clear. Even factoring in the curved plan view of the average automobile (which in effect reduces the bumper's swing), I'd say that's pretty good.

Last edited by Sven7; 06-09-2015 at 11:17 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2015), BamZipPow (06-09-2015), wyatt (06-09-2015)