View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #92 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I lke the newer design. It'll cool itself better. Surprising the water pump turns so easily by hand.
I'm also surprised how easily the water pump spun. New pumps I've installed don't turn nearly that easily, perhaps just because they're new and not worn in yet? Old pumps usually seem corroded and also don't spin as easily either though.

Quote:
Suggests that your experiement might show relatively little to be gained? How much load could an easily turned pump and its pulley be putting on the engine? Maybe the OEM pulley and its etra belt line puts as much load on the engine as the pump itself?
That is all very possible. That is one of the reasons I really want to test out the power draw at differenet OEM engine speeds before just doing the mod and saying "TADAAAA". Perhaps once it starts spinning, a reasonable load will be put on it (I'm kind of doubting that at the moment). I searched and searched before doing any of this, and never was able to find something that said "a water pump pulls X horsepower at X rpm". When I get to testing, we'll know exactly how much power it takes through the entire rpm range.

There are still other 'nice' benefits like having heat when the engine is off in winter, and cycling the pump while preheating with a block heater. But, if those are the only real benefits it really cuts down on the 'bang for the buck/time/pain in the butt' factor.