View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Sure, there are two i MiEV's in our family, and I just got to drive my Mom's for pretty good drive. It also has great legroom and headroom in the front (though not as cavernous as the i3) and the backseat is also pretty good. My son (6'-6"+) sat along side me in the front, and my Mom (who is ~6' tall) sat in the backseat.

It is a much more basic car than the Leaf and the e-Golf, and it is the smallest motor at 49kW. Still pretty peppy from a stop, and the steering is very nimble. With a great big hatch, and the rear seats folded flat, it is a workhorse. The dash is anything but modern, and it needs a dedicated range remaining gauge.

Nothing fancy on the shifter, but it works like the Leaf - easy to "shift" into neutral and into B mode for more regen. The front tires were "low" at ~36PSI and ~38PSI, so I didn't get to see how it really could coast. I pumped them up to 45PSI, and my Mom likes how it rolls.

The Eco mode is only when you're desperate - it knocks the power down to ~17kW (if I recall correctly) so it is a snail, and only useful in stop and go traffic when you need to stretch your range. The front seats are heated, but that's it for winter amenities. The heater is resistance, and apparently gets a big help if you insulate it.

The i MiEV has unusual tire sizes (narrow on the front, and normal on the back. There are 2 or 3 brands / models to choose from for all seasons, and 1 brand / model for winter tires, that are sold in the US, anyway.

It is a basic electric car - seats four, and is easy to drive, and is very practical. If you are very tall, and you want an electric car, and cannot quite step up to the i3's price, then give the i MiEV a look.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-14-2015), Gasoline Fumes (06-14-2015), Insight for life (06-14-2015)