View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 02:09 AM   #69 (permalink)
stovie
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
Part of the reason i got looking into this is i was looking at how the fuel ratio's affected the combustion temperature in a car. What i found out is that when you lean out the car it burns hotter, and when you rich the mixture it cools down right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2saxfe0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	17994

Like the chart above shows. however I then saw a chart that shows the temperature rise of gasoline and how hot it gets to the amount of fuel used.

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	17992

Like this! (ofcourse this is the wrong one but i'm trying to make a point!) It showed that the heat produced increases with the amount of fuel added(obviously!!). But then why does a combustion engine burn hotter when the ratio is reduced rather then when it's raised?? The answer I came up with is that the amount of fuel added is much higher then air. Imagine the chart i have above showing the temperature of the fuel as air is removed.

Name:	temp1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	17993

About like this chart. then the temperature drops when more fuel is added or more air is taken away. I feel that this is a aspect of internal combustion engines that we don't take into account when thinking about fuel to air ratios. We worry too much about the schoimetric ratio and stuff like that that we don't look at how the air to fuel ratio in that internal combustion engine should really be. Meaning that if you add more fuel the temperature rises, and when you add less fuel the temperature drops. I really wonder just how far off internal combustion engines are if my charts above are truly "accurate" like i believe they are.

p.s if someone can find a chart like the last two i posted but for gasoline i would really appreciate it if you would post it for me here. I've been looking for it for days now but all i find are stupid charts about climate change to gasoline burning ratios and rates.