View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #89 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post

I have many answers to the BSFC problem...

...BSFC is around 270 at cruise now (50% load at ~2000 rpm). Decreasing drag will only make that number go towards 295 from decreasing the load. No no, it is going up!
Quick answer, I have not read the thread beyond that point above:

A quick and easy compensation for dropping out of the BSFC sweet-spot is to practice "burn & glide" (also "pulse & glide" or "burn & coast") driving style. I drive my entirely stock Saab 96 from 1975 at around 4.7 L100 (60 mpg) with this method, as an average consisting of both highway and rush hour city traffic. I'd love to make some aeromods in the near future, but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is quite low on such modifications.

B&G is definitely not a relaxed driving style. You have to work with your car in any traffic situation and road condition continously, but B&G combined with engine shut-off is what realy makes the difference! I start my engine as often as twice per minute! I have been waiting for my starter to wear out over a year now, but it resists my abuse...

A nice reward for the hard work of B&G is that your increased attention to the traffic improves safety. When you see every car in sight as a potential killer of your inertia, there will also be a reduced risk for them to kill YOU! By getting more observant, and better at planning your driving, you often get rewarded by a nice last laugh when you pass one of those hectic idiots for the third time in city traffic.

Last edited by JohnAh; 06-17-2015 at 06:18 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAh For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (08-10-2015), BabyDiesel (06-18-2015)