View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #99 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yes both are 3rd gen... So I don't know why they might have different ratings, but the NTSB ratings listed on Cars.com for the two years show a few 4 star ratings in 2010 were revised to five stars in 2011. I would imagine a few reinforcements or minor changes in body panels might have been all it took. Modest improvements were all they needed.
I have a copy of The Car Book 2010. The Prius crash ratings for 2010 is Poor for frontal and Average for side.

As far as safety is concerned...generally the larger the car...the safer it is in a crash...so you can't directly compare safety ratings of sub-compact vs compact vs intermediate

Side note: this last winter during a snow storm there were 2 local crashes shown on the news...both were headons. Both involved older Chevy Celebrities (?) vs a Jeep and then a Caddy. The people in the small cars died...the others went home or to the hospital.

note: not trying to be a Debby Downer...just that I was considering a used Prius myself...till I saw the crash ratings. My current ride...a 2 door focus probably has one of the worst side crash ratings you could find....

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 06-20-2015 at 05:19 PM..