View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I hope M24 can succeed where A123 failed tho.
I would encourage M24, and any technology company, to support the DIYers and hobbyists. I won't sugar-coat it - it's painful to sell low volumes of cells (or whatever you are making). There's a lot of email or phone support involved.

BUT - building a vibrant user community will get you:
- vital feedback (most times very quickly) on real-world testing of your product
- an EXTENSIVE list (anecdotes through to lab-grade testing) of what can go wrong with your alpha and beta products (so that you can make the product more bullet-proof)
- access to a bunch of people who are always thinking of what they can use your product FOR. More than one hobbyist has created entire new markets by thinking DIFFERENTLY

.. OK - time to get off my soap box ..

The previous rant brought to you by the Former A123 and the present B456, who kinda refused to sell their products to DIYers after a bad experience. Many of us (not me, so this is likely not exactly the way it worked) bought them anyway - through the back door from the factory through a couple of middlemen when we could have bought them from A123 directly.