View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dean in Milwaukee
EcoModding Lurker

This being my first vehicle with a fuel econ readout, I have noticed some counter-intuitive things.

If I don't use the cruise control, and instead just hold the throttle very steady, fuel economy doesn't climb and fall up and down hills barely at all. even though the cars speed is varying. I can maintain 50 plus mpg for long distances if there are no cars backing up behind me doing this.

The other is that very gentle acceleration from stops is not the best plan. Taking off slow keeps econ readout steady in the low teens until I finally reach speed and get it into 6th where the high numbers appear.
I get better average fuel econ by taking off at fairly heavy throttle and let it rev to get up to speed quickly, getting only 8mpg, and then skip most gears right into 6th as soon as I'm going fast enough to do so.

As far as the low Cd and the low rolling resistance tires coupled with the very tall top gear, leaving hwy travel requires me to get off the gas way earlier than my previous cars as the 6 just wants to coast forever without slowing much. I actually need to downshift to increase engine braking while still on the hwy if I want to avoid significant brake use at the stop sign at the end of the off ramps.

The other thing I'm liking is the cars hwy range. 40 mpg and a 16.4 gallon tank means a safe range of 600 plus miles. Its almost as good as owning a diesel.

Dean