View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Forgive me, but 3 dyno pulls from low rpm to redline does not imply a fully warmed up engine. nor even if you follow it with an acceleration from 40 to 80.

I wouldn't be so skeptical, but these plugs aren't turning into real world mpg results AFAICT. I mean we are talking about folks who can tell if a mirror is removed and NOT noticing any improvement with these plugs.
I think we have people with test skills that are all over the map (I'm not one of the better ones, BTW).

Regarding your mirror delete example, I consider this to be a mod outside the scope of Pulstar testing (apples and oranges). We have discussed on this forum situations in which the ScanGauge is not 100% accurate with all drivetrains under all driving conditions. Without access to the SG source, we have theorized that it extrapolates MPG from other inputs by using a proprietary algorithm.

From my POV, the mirror-delete is an aerodynamic mod. I think the ScanGauge is best suited to measure these mods because aerodynamic mods have a (direct?) "positive effect" on engine load parameters that the ScanGauge measures. When the aero-mods help the engine to do less "work" to go the same speed, the SG can detect this. What I am saying is, the SG is the "right tool for the job" when it comes to measuring the effect of aerodynamic mods.

I think of the Pulstar mod as an "engine combustion mod". I don't think the SG is in a reliable position to test this. I think this needs to be done on a dynamometer, where the number of external parameters are reduced. Most of us don't have this. I am not making a claim for or against Pulstar plugs, but I am saying that our informal "test lab" may not be the "right tool for the job".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society