View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
2009Toyotoad
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Any 4 bolt by 100MM rim between 13" and 17" should work provided the rim width is 6" or less. However using a compact spare tire is the issue. Modern rims compact or otherwise will support 650 lbs or more given a large enough rim. What cause the big concern is the compact spare tires or tyres were never designed for speed or durability, They heat up rather fast do to the nature of the rubber compound in the tire, even when inflated correctly. There are also handing issues when moving to a smaller than stock Wheel and tire combination. If alloys wheels are a possibility budget I would look in that directions. In way cases 20% to 30% weight saving can be achieved and you down loose handing or braking performance. While my Yaris is NCP91 platform I went from 28.6lbs down to under 21lbs per wheel/tire, with no changes in handing or braking, and slightly improved "off the line" acceleration. I did notice more wheel hops in hard acceleration startups, but those are rare in my normal daily commute.