View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
SickMPGs
EcoModding Lurker

Crappy Gas Pipe - '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo 230k Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Howdy. New member from NY as the title says. I have a 98 Corolla I've been getting 40+mpg in without much effort or mods, but I'm more interested in the home efficiency info I've been reading on here! The $5/gal fuel cost is killing me more than gas prices at this point, and I think I can do more with the house than the car and truck at the moment.

I'd love to get PV or wind generation setup at my house, and have been reading up on geothermal. Anything to cut my oil usage and electric too if I can.
Hi
I always knew a 98 Corolla got 40+ mpgs. You have my deepest sympathy. but dont feel bad. There are so many people out there that get even worse mpgs than you. Before I worked the kinks out of my GreaseCar I was getting only 50-60 mpgs, diesel. Now with shorter switch over time, shorter pruge times, longer distances and summer temps (w/o one-tanking or blending) I'm getting 128 MPG, diesel. That means driving 2000+ miles before seeing a gas station and not even getting to the OEM reserve tank.

Did you price out Geothermal? Do you have the right soil? Wind? You must be on the side of a mountain or water front for that to work. If you have one of these prime locations then you got the bucks to tackle the project. I was thinking for blending or making biodiesel for oil heat. Just worried about loosing heat on a cold night. My wife wouldnt leave the house w/o taking a shower first so she would probbly die first. These oil prices are killing us too.

Last edited by SickMPGs; 07-28-2008 at 06:44 PM..