Thread: My new FR-S!
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
I hear that the narrow bands are impossible to tune by since they swing so quickly it just becomes too noisy to work with. Ten years ago I could introduce a resistor into the wiring of the oxygen sensor to make it a blunt instrument. That's on a Forester XT. That allowed me the flexibility to go up to 14.7:1 (Map limited) in more places and get way more timing requests met (I think). It would make a lot more torque anyway and I got 1 more mpg out of it. It was all too limiting and I realized the power wasn't edifying anymore and I wanted to mess with diesel engines for awhile.
I think yours is an interesting balance of the mix of fuels with different octanes and BTU content. For example : If you're limited to 14.7:1 AF and you may be able to sustain 16:1 so you add alcohol which needs to be a little fatter 14:7 looks more like 16:1 (with that mix) and you get higher octane which helps retard knock.
I've been thinking about this on my Beetle since I can't get the ECU to make it lean enough off boost and rich enough on boost. If I run E85 where its rich now on pump gas on E85 it may be much closer to stoich. Then when boost comes on I can do a 50/50 mix in the charge pipe to cool and richen up top.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html