View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
The donkey CRX
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
reply to Balto

Here is how I determine what speeds to use for EOC.

On the 30 miles of country roads of my commute are many low rolling hills. I use a different "pulse" or starting speed depending on how far I need to coast. Several are steep enough or the potential coasting distance is short enough that I start at only 45MPH and coast down to 30 MPH at the end if there is no one close behind me.

The longest coast on the country road is 1.4 miles and requires a starting speed of 53 MPH and coast down to 30 MPH. This starting speed will vary by 2 or 3 MPH depending on if there is a headwind or tailwind that day. Headwinds require higher speed in order to get to the end of the 1.4 miles and still be going at least 30 MPH. I prefer to end all my EOC at 30 MPH because that is the slowest speed I can bump start the car and still stay in 5th gear without lugging the engine.

On the 24 mile freeway portion of the commute, I have 4 hills were I can EOC. They are all over 1 mile long. On the fastest one I pulse from my usual 55 MPH up to 70 MPH and end the coast when I reach 55 MPH. Two of the other ones start at 60 MPH and the last starts at 66 MPH. They all end at 55 MPH, traffic permitting.

I am able to complete these EOC sessions without impeding other traffic because I commute at off peak times. This summer I go into Memphis at 4 AM and see very few other cars until I hit the freeway. I start home around 1 or 2 PM to light traffic and hardly any on the country roads.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
ecoTex (06-29-2015)