View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #70 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,180 Times in 808 Posts
Thanks for the tips on hitch weight. I did stop at one point and move some stuff from the back to the front. Everybody's suitcases and a 55# generator. That helped a lot as the road was really dippy and rough with zero shoulder but so wonderful as far as zero traffic, people, or basically any signs of mankind for mile after mile. My rear GAWR is 3714 according to the sticker but I should try and find a scale and see what I'm running actually fully loaded.
We have 13" radial trailer tires but they are only load range B and I'm running over max at 42 pounds and they look loaded. They are staying coolish as are the bearings even in full sun with 90+ degree weather.
We did better yesterday and today with yesterday running 2 fill ups of 150 miles at 14.8 gaining 750 feet but on new smooth highways, and 263 miles of 14.2 loosing 1700 feet but on the very rough and rolling area of the badlands and there was a section on that tank W/o the camper up into a winding state park that included a 13% dirt grade. Before that the trip computer was saying 15.5 but it has been running about .4 or .5 high towing. That winter supposed 15 was according to the trip computer not a fill up because it was only 15 miles or so. It was completely uploaded as well.
Today I didn't fill up yet but the computer is reading mid 14's going back up over the badlands gaining about 700 feet. We only went 130 miles or so today. Tomorrow I would get decent numbers but then after that we are going over the 10000+ foot beartooth highway into Yellowstone. Once in Yellowstone there will be 3 days if no towing which will be the real vacation for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2015)