View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
ThePrudentNinja
EcoModding Lurker

Red Bean - '01 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 34.44 mpg (US)
Meh, the rolling turd (a big van) I have got 12 MPG average. Old V8 with a carb, seriously needed a tuneup. Aerodynamics of a brick. Still got 12MPG. I also drove it like I stole it lol. I did attempt better driving habits with it and squeezed out another 2MPG (for 14MPG average for a few trips). However due to bad aerodynamics, rough mechanical shape, bad rolling resistance, and automatic trans, wasn't much I could do. The car I borrowed after the rolling turd broke down (transmission went out) is so much more aerodynamically decent that it felt more like slicing through the air instead of pushing through the air like the rolling turd.

This guy could have squeezed out a few more MPGs with a hummer but it's sort of a losing battle. With the van I realized that even on my top game (driving), the best I could see was 2-3 MPG above average (which also used some hypermiling techniques, but not many). The true average MPG was like 8MPG. Sucked hard dumping in $60 a week to go to and from work lol (mostly city driving). In the borrowed car I'm averaging 26-30MPG (EPA estimated 24MPG). The new car (the red bean) seems to have an EPA estimated around 30MPG so I expect to be able to get about 35-38MPG without any mods to the car.

This guy didn't even try. I can tell by his results lol.