View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
ThePrudentNinja
EcoModding Lurker

Red Bean - '01 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 34.44 mpg (US)
A lot of good points. About confirms my suspicions. There is not much of a demand for a "basic cheap car". There are laws that keep the price high (safety and emissions). There is also the issue with quality.

I for one wouldn't have a problem spending $10,000 for a good and dependable new car if I knew it would make it to at least 300,000 miles without major issues. I'm already aware of the near instant depreciation of brand new cars, however those who buy such cars brand new may drive them 100,000 miles without doing any maintenance to them. That will of course shorten the overall life of the car. There are times when buying NEW can be a good idea. The extra cost could be repaid with a longer vehicle life. The issue for me (and probably many) is the really high cost of a new car. $15,000 can buy just about any reasonably decent small car in the USA (and new cars don't generally seem that small anymore). $25,000 can buy a reasonably decent new truck. However I would probably suffer a great deal of stress handing over $15,000 of my money to a company for.. a car. The closest to new I've ever owned is the Red Bean. Fourteen years old and just under 140,000 miles. The oldest I've owned was thirty eight years old with unknown miles (an old pickup truck).