View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, one thing everyone here seems to be overlooking is the police. Not sure about elsewhere but here if a cop sees you in a small car towing "a lot", they will pull you over and check to make sure you are within your GVWR. If you aren't, heavy fines. They will break out scales to weigh everything too (I've seen it more than once).
When it comes to IF a small car can tow, the simple answer is "Yes, usually, with some modifications typically". However, most tiny cars have a unibody "frame" and isn't as suitable for towing as a car with a normal frame.
Why would they go to all that trouble when they can plant drugs, bring a forfeiture lawsuit, sell the vehicle and drop the charges?

My VW Beetle occupies an awkward middle ground. The floorpan (aka 'frame') only extends to the parting line between the engine and transmission. So the bumper is attached only to the body. I ripped the hat-sectioned sheet metal bracket the bumper bolts to off of a squareback once, jack-knifing a trailer. At the front gate of a store-and-lock that had closed for the day. That was awkward.

I have a hitch that reaches all the way forward to the torsion bar housing, but it's too short to fit my Superbeetle.