View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
To be honest, I didn't even check used prices. Most new models of cars seem to have super high resale value until they are 6-10 years old or have a second generation released. A quick scan of my local craigslist shows about a dozen for under $10k. That's a lot more of a drop than I had expected.

Will still take many years to recoup the costs compared to the Civic though...
The Leafs that were leased for pretty cheap (I hear stories of $99 / month) are starting to be turned in.

I've heard that there were/are a lot of Leafs leased instead of purchased. So prices for used should be reasonable for 2 or 3 years at least. There are a bunch of Leaf's on the lots, unsold, now. Maybe a couple of months worth. And there is a new leaf for 2016 that is supposed to have 100 mile range, so they may have to cut the prices to get the 'old' inventory sold to make room for the new model ... in a few months.

I don't think it's really a good thing for EVs to have huge depreciation. But it's a good way in for many who could not pay the premium that was placed on the electric cars ... to drive a good used *ELECTRIC* car for a much more reasonable price.

The batteries, which is what everyone is worried about on these cars, have been doing well with a couple of well-documented exceptions. There is still some discussion if there was a problem with the batteries, or a problem with the instrumentation that estimated the State of Charge. I think the warranty on the battery is 8 years? Can anyone with a Leaf confirm that?

If the 39 month old Leaf starts out much less than a 3 year old civic then it appears to me to be a no-brainer - get the (used) Leaf!

Am I missing something?